Squaw valley has once again issued a statement in response to the news released indicating that Coliform and E.coli bacteria were discovered in the domestic water at squaw valley’s upper mountain. The initial health hazard was first reported to the placer County Department of Environmental Health on November 8, 2016. The water was consistently treated after this discovery, and significant improvement was observed. In all the four wells that serve the upper mountain, three of them have started showing low levels of Coliform and E.coli being eradicated completely. Liesl Kenney, Public Relations Director for Squaw Valley, issued a statement regarding the whole issue on November 30th.
According to the statement, these events were triggered by the unusually heavy rain storm that was experienced in Placer County and affected several water systems. At Squaw Valley, the storm led to flooding of an upgraded water system at Gold coast and High Camp, which resulted in contamination of water in that system. However, this was the only system affected, and other water systems were not affected. No contaminated water was supplied to the public after this incidence.
The Squaw Valley team immediately contacted the Squaw Valley Public Service District and Placer County Environmental Health and other water safety experts. The team was able to take the necessary steps, and they are implementing other measures to make sure the system is safe again, and it has returned to the normal levels. Water usage at Gold coast and High Camp will not return to the normal usage until there is an assurance from the water experts and health officials that the water is safe for public consumption.
According to the statement, the safety of the customers is paramount to squawk valley. The issue was taken serious, and all safety measures were put in place at their resort. Guest at Gold Coast and High Camp will have full and normal access to the squawk valley facilities that includes free and safe bottled water for drinking as the issue is being resolved. Guests and other stakeholders will be immediately updated and notified once the issue has been fully resolved and confirmed by experts.